Montag, 10. Juni 2013

a real paludarium

Aquarium comes from the latin word "aqua" which means "water".
Terrarium comes from "terra" which means "soil".
Paludarium comes from "palus" which means "swamp". Sadly the most Paludariums are just Aqua-Terrariums. There's nothing wrong with them just the word is a bit missleading I think.


I build mine from a damaged 60L standard aquarium. I cutted the glasses and build a 60*15*15 tank where I keep some leftover waterplants which I didn't like to throw away.
The soil in this tank is permanently drowned. I set up this thing round 6 weeks ago and all plants I used are submerse grown plants, that's why it's still work in progress. The plants need much more time to adapt from submers to emerse than vice versa. The dominant moss in the left foreground is weeping. It does pretty well, grows fast and nicely.

The cylinder in the tank's middle is a cutted wine bottle which carries the cover pane.
The tank decorates my east window without any extra lightning, I just refill the water once a week and add some fertilizer every two weeks. I will show this in some weeks again, when the plants developed their whole emerse beauty.




2 Kommentare:

  1. Any amphibians - frogs and salamanders? ~asb

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. No, just the plants. It would be possible to keep small crabs or salamanders in it but with them comes the food and cleaning and some temperature worries, I prefer it this simple "no worries" style ;-)

      Löschen